Based on PHP, Magento is an open-source eCommerce and content management platform. From self-hosted and hosted services to enterprise-level solutions, Magento is designed with SEO in mind, delivering marketing tools, as well as offering a host of payment gateways.
In 2017, Magento accounted for around 30% of eCommerce websites globally. As of October 2022, there are still over 167,000 active eCommerce sites powered by Magento 1 and almost 100,000 powered by Magento 2.
Magento 2 was released in 2015, intended to solve some of the flaws and problems of Magento 1.
There are currently three Magento 2 editions:
- Magento 2 Open Source - a free product, downloadable from the Magento website. Users are responsible for hosting, support and development costs.
- Magento 2 Commerce - an on-premise solution. It comes with additional features and support.
- Magento 2 Commerce Cloud - offers the same features as the Commerce edition but it is cloud-hosted.
Some of the key differences between Magento 1 and 2 include:
- 20% faster page load speed
- Mobile friendliness
- CSS3, HTML5 and MySQL support
- Improved user interface
- Simplified checkout process
Get in touch with our experts at Despatch Cloud to know more about this integration.